TOUR - PAGE 2
TOUR - PAGE 3
TOUR MAP

Village Tour
History
Architecture
Village Directory
Board of Trustees
Event Calendar
Zoning Board
Historic Elsah
Foundation
Business Directory
Plat and Flood Maps


Thiele-Darnell House


Although there certainly was a house on this site as early at 1861, probably only the basement of that first house survives. The house we see today belonged for many years to the Farley family, serving as a home, boarding house, and doctor's office. Benjamin F. Farley was one of Elsah's principal physicians for many years.


Serini-Haupt-North House


Built in 1858 this home was for many years the home of the village butcher and fisherman, Issac Haupt. The stone part of the structure was built as a two-room house with an outside stair to the second floor. The frame portion on the right was added in the 1890s. Then in the 1940s the house was modernized by adding an inside stair, living room fireplace, bathrooms, and oak flooring over the old random width pine boards in the living and dining rooms.


Methodist Church


Built in 1874, this small Gothic church was the only house of worship in Elsah until the 1940's. Mrs. Ames donated a small Sunday School Room at the rear of the building.


Keller-Taetz House


In March 1856 Louis Keller, a cooper, came to Elsah. This house was probably built within the year. For many years Mr. Keller made barrels in the backyard in a shed that is no longer standing. He added the mansard roof and rear extension of the house in 1892. The house was restored to its present appearance by the Lester Sontag family.


TOUR - PAGE 2 | TOUR - PAGE 3 | TOUR MAP | HOME


Text from Elsah:  A Historic Guidebook by Charles B. Hosmer, Jr. and Paul O. Williams, 1967.  Used with Permission from Historic Elsah Foundation